Tuesday, January 30, 2007

FORE!

When I was 12 years old I was a caddy at a suburban country club. I was assigned to caddy for a group of gentlemen, and one of them is a bit of a local celebrity sports radio personality with the initials of C.C.
This sports radio guy came up to me at one point, and told me he thought I was really cute and asked me when I would graduate from college. College? I hadn't even graduated from Junior High yet! I was kind of horrified because of the way he looked at me..like I was some sort of prey.
Another experience at this same suburban country club is even more icky! A man in his 60's who I was caddying for (at age 12 mind you!) put his putter between my legs from behind when I was holding the flag while the foursome were putting. I was so embarrassed, and I moved immediately. I didn't know what to say at that time so I simply avoided him for the remaining holes. It turns out he had a history of specifically requesting girl caddies. I told the 'Caddy Master' and after that point the requests for girl caddies from this guy were denied. You would think that it may have dawned upon the "Caddy Master' to deny these sort of specific requests immediately-like a red flag!
It sickens me to think back about these incidents, and that there are men out there who think that objectifying and sexually assaulting young girls is ok.

~submitted by Joan