Friday, June 04, 2010

Every time I walk toward men on the sidewalk I feel like I need to brace myself for whatever is comment is about to be made.

I love the neighborhood I live in (Logan Square), but the frequent hollering and harassment that goes on here is upsetting. I've been asked if I needed a ride, asked out, had comments made to me about my body, I've been stared at, and had the occasional "smooching" noise made at me. Every time I walk toward men on the sidewalk I feel like I need to brace myself for whatever is comment is about to be made.

The other day, for the first time I snapped on someone. I walked out of my apartment and headed to a nearby grocery store. It was late afternoon, still light out. I walked about twenty feet when I heard a man say "Can I ask you a question?" I looked over to see a man and his friend standing on a porch a couple apartments down from mine. So I stopped and said "OK." The man said "I was wondering if we could maybe go out sometime." I've never seen this guy before, I had no idea who he was, and to me he looked drunk. I rolled my eyes and kept walking. "You don't have to be rude about it." I heard as I was walking away. I spun around and told him that I was just trying to walk down the street and I was minding my own business to which his friend replied "Well, you're hot so you have to expect it." I yelled at him that I most certainly do not have to expect it (even though I DO expect it because I can't leave my fucking apartment without it happening).

Then, when I realized it wasn't worth arguing over, I told them to fuck off and kept walking. Normally some idiot trying to ask me out wouldn't make me so angry, but the fact that they thought I should expect to be harassed because of the way I look (I was wearing an old t-shirt and shorts by the way) really pissed me off. I wish I could tell every guy who does this to fuck off, but I realize it's probably not a good idea. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

~Submitted by Marieke