Thursday, June 26, 2008

I Felt Like a Five Year Old

Last night as I walked from the six corners, up Damen to to Augusta, I had 4 incidents of street harassment. I'll spare you the details of the two least egregious and proceed with the others...
One was actually by a woman. It wasn't sexual street harassment, but it was harsh nonetheless. She was walking her dog without a leash, and the dog started to jump up on me. I didn't say anything, but I must've had a sour face because the woman said, "It's not that big of a deal, ya fat bitch." Yes, I am a fat, size two bitch who happens to be afraid of large dogs. Put your dog on a leash.
The other was sort of scary, at the new gas station at the corner of Damen & Augusta. A carload of late teen / early 20s guys were on the sidewalk, about to pull out of the station. They started yelling things at me about my ass, and when I walked around the front of the car to get back on the sidewalk, one of the guys grabbed at me, touching my arm to tell me "Come talk to me, girl, take a ride with us." I felt like a five year old, like a stranger in a blue van was offering me candy or something. Maybe I am being irrational, but it really made me afraid. They truly could've opened the car door and pulled me in, if that's what they wanted to do.
--Amanda