Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I Just Kept on Staring

I was crossing the street at Ashland and Hubbard and this dude was stuck in gridlocked traffic, windows down, just staring at me. I could feel his eyes on me- watching me cross the street and wait for the bus. I first tried to ignore him, but then I felt myself getting angry- it was like I was letting him control me, and it made me feel frustrated. So I took a breath, looked up, and just stared his ass down. I even moved my feet apart a little to take up more space on the sidewalk. Just stared him full in the face, and tried to give him a look that said I was in control and didn't feel like having him stare at me. He was surprised and he looked away in discomfort. He checked his phone. I just kept on staring. When traffic picked up, he looked up at me again- and I was still staring at him with my intense, no-nonsense, don't-fuck-with-this face. It felt awesome. I think more people should try it. It's kind of like turning the tables. It let the dude know that I didn't appreciate what he was doing, and gave him a taste of his own medicine.

--Arline